Monday, October 15, 2012

Yes, Michael is still here

I realize most of my recent posts have been about Bailey, so here's a quick update on Michael.

He has just this afternoon figured out how to climb out of his crib. I think the appropriate non-swear word here is CRIKEY! Bailey never even tried. We moved her to a twin bed at 18 months because she never slept well from day 1 and we figured it couldn't hurt anything.

Quite frankly, the idea of moving Michael to something that doesn't resemble a cage scares the bejeezus out of me. He is a "fart in a skillet" as Tony likes to call him. For those who don't understand Tony-lingo, that means he's all over the place. [Tony claims other people in the world use this phrase too, but I've only ever heard it from his mouth, so either the rest of the world is more cautious around me or it's just something he made up. LOL.]

Last night Michael had all of us laughing (although Tony and I were sharing what-are-we-going-to-do-with-him looks through the laughter). Bailey was singing Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed, and every time she would sing the part about one falling off, Michael would lift his hands in the air and say "ohhhhhh" and fall to the side. Just fall down. Standing to laying, ungracefully I might add. On purpose. Is this normal?!?! Then he would stand up and laugh and dance until that same phrase came around again and he would do it all over. I tried to capture it on video, but of course he stopped as soon as the camera was out.

Vaccination update
I have been allowing one vaccination per visit. We go in more often than normal people, but he has had NO problems since we started it that way ... with ANY of the vaccines. Don't get me wrong, he has had fevers with some of the shots, but a couple doses of Tylenol and they are gone!

Doctors, I don't know that I will ever believe you when you tell me his fevers had nothing to do with the shots. I just have too much of my own proof to the contrary. Maybe it's coincidence that I started spacing out the vaccines just at the time when he was better able to handle them or maybe it was just coincidence that he got a prolonged fever after multiple vaccines, but as for me, I don't believe it. I will just keep my content little bubble around me and believe that one vaccine is better than a bunch for him. I'm not trying to build a soap box for myself here, just stating that for Michael in particular, multiple vaccines are not a good idea.

That said, he has yet to get his final DTaP or his MMR, which are the ones that scare me the most. I am praying my bubble isn't punctured when these two come due.

Aaaannnnnd, he just woke up. Read the second paragraph and you'll understand why I am cutting out.

1 comment:

howdyamy said...

Molly - I don't know if you can split up the dTap, but I was able to order and get my kids the MMR in 3 separate vaccines. I think I had to call the Vitamin Shoppe and maybe pay for them out of pocket, but it was like $20 for each vaccine. For me, the peace of mind of not doing them together in that vial all at once was worth it. I know it resulted in more shots for the kids, but I was able to space them out with plenty of time in between, and give the shots a little later than the recommended schedule (which I think is aggressive) - and our ped seemed to respect that I was at least still vaccinating them. (I know what the doctors and the studies say about this, but I also know what thousands of parents have said and felt...and until there is LESS anecdotal evidence connecting the MMR vaccine with autism and other problems, I think there is nothing wrong with being cautious on that one!)

Post a Comment