Friday, March 19, 2010

The reason children learn more earlier than their parents

So I've decided today that memories are passed down (not the actual memories, but just the part of the brain that holds memories). While I feel like the part of my brain that holds memories (short term, long term, doesn't matter) has dwindled and I am lucky to remember to call people back, Bailey's seems to be stronger than mine ever was. I find myself wondering if this gets even worse with each child, in which case, perhaps we shouldn't try for more!

We were driving through the park after playing for a little while and passed the shelter where we had Bailey's birthday party. And she said "that's where I had my birthday."

WHAAAT!?!?! She turned 2 in September. How in the WORLD does she remember where we had her birthday party.

Later on today she told me, "The big kitty at Mamaw's house doesn't like it when I hold her." Now that seems like a normal thing for her to remember. (P.S. Mamaw, I have yet to break the news that said kitty is no longer ... )

While we're on the memory subject: a couple days ago, we went out to color in sidewalk chalk (did I mention I love spring weather?), and she said "remember what we did last day?" She calls it "last day" when it's not "yesterday" or "today."

Refer to paragraph 1 of this post, and you'll know my response, which was "what did we do?" And she said, "you colored me," and proceeded to lay down on the sidewalk so I could trace around her and she could draw her face and paint her nails :)

It's true when they say children are like little sponges. She soaks up EVERYTHING and I never know when she's going to spout out something she's heard or seen. Keeps the days fun, interesting and, sometimes, humiliating :)

For instance, there was one time I was talking on the phone and mentioned that I felt like I look like a boy with my short hair and no makeup on. So we're in the bank a couple weeks later and she says "mommy, you look like a boy today." There was nothing to do but laugh as every head in the line in front of us tried to inconspicuously glance my way. I don't want to know whether or not they found truth in her words.

1 comment:

Justacogitating said...

Don't you wonder what the other people were thinking when they finally saw you? 'Cause you in NO way look like a boy. I don't think that's possible. I probably would have been wondering where the child got it from. Actually, I would have been the stranger blatantly looking at you and smiling. :)

Post a Comment