Saturday, May 19, 2012

Quick Update on the Wee Ones

Bailey seems to be doing better these days. There isn't quite as much whining going on and fewer incidents of sassing than the past couple months. Maybe it's the weather, maybe it was just a phase. I don't know, but I am certainly grateful she is snapping out of it. Now, it's more noise than anything else ... especially if the two of them are in a room together. I won't have eardrums in a few years time.

Michael is doing well too. Last Thursday (May 10, 2012), he decided he was done crawling. It was like a switch went off and he just stood up all day and walked everywhere, despite falling every few feet most of the day. He just stood back up and did it again. In the past, once he fell, he stayed down. Not anymore. It's already more of a run, too! I am in over my head with this boy.

Whereas Bailey was speaking pretty clearly at this point, Michael could care less about words. I try to encourage it, but it's exhausting to coax it out of him all the time. For some reason, he has started shaking his head no at everything and just grinning. I think he just likes to hear me ask a lot of questions.

Are you hungry?
-No

Thirsty?
-No

Tired?
-No

Want to listen to music?
-No

Do you want more?
-No

Are you all done?
-No

The only consistent "yes," which is adorable and consists of his entire body moving up and down is "do you want to go outside?" He LOVES the outdoors and would stay out all day long if I let him. I have yet to attempt a picnic with him, though. It makes me cringe a little just thinking about him being free with food. Cleaning him up after he has been pinned in a high chair is hard enough. I will have to strip him down if we do a picnic anytime soon.

He has also started this game at night that I love and will be so upset when it stops. When he isn't completely exhausted and sleeping within 5 minutes of taking him upstairs, I rock him with my eyes closed so he knows it's time to sleep. If he doesn't want to fall asleep, he will crawl up in my lap and lean in for a kiss. You know, the baby ones with the wide open mouth and drool all over? Then he will lay back in my arms and snuggle up really close and just grin as big as he can. Considering he is rough and wild most of the time, moments like that seem even sweeter.

Bailey and I took him for another shot this afternoon. It seems like he gets so many more now that we are spreading them out. Today was Prevnar (the PCV vaccination). I'm curious how he will do with this one because the Center for Disease Control printout says if they have reacted badly to DTaP, consult with your doctor about whether or not to do this vaccination. I knew that at the last appointment, so I talked to her about it and she seemed to think it was nothing to worry about. Easy for her to say. 

Needless to say, I hope she is right. My hope is that he is getting old enough that he can handle these things a little better. He never had any fever whatsoever with his most recent vaccination at his 1-year visit. Granted, it was the chicken pox vaccine and was different from any he has ever received, but it was still a vaccination and he had NO FEVER. There's a first! So once again, I'm hopeful and trying to stay cautiously optimistic, as we like to say in the economic world :)

I know there is so much more I should include in this post, but I've burned all my energy for the day and need to cuddle up and sleep now. Goodnight world.

No comments:

Post a Comment