Tuesday, October 19, 2010

“Moly a smokes”

The English language is a difficult one to master, but also amusing when you’re watching it evolve in a 3-year-old. The other day (actually, a couple weeks ago, but time flies!), she told me she needed to potty. Naturally, we ran to the bathroom, and as she started going she said “moly a smokes! I did have to potty!” I assume this is because she’s heard the expressions “Holy smokes” and “holy moly” interchangeably. So cute.

We were driving home from Holiday World on my birthday and had gone to a parade the day before with my sister, brother-in-law and their children. We took the bag of candy with us and were snacking on some on the drive home. I gave her a piece of bubble gum, and after chewing on it for awhile, she said, “this gum tastes wemanated.” I said, “I don’t even know what that means” and she said, “it tastes like it has wemonade in it.” I laughed and explained that I had given her a piece of pink lemonade bubble gum.

Sunday, when my parents came with gifts and took me to dinner (which was AWESOME—them coming and dinner and the gifts), Bailey had been outside playing while we were all talking. After awhile she said, in a rather demanding voice, “just stop talking. You’re unstressing me. Just be quiet.” I sat and racked my brains trying to remember if I’ve ever told her she’s stressing me out. I hope not, and I don’t think so. That seems a little harsh, even for me. Maybe she can just sense it though. Church on Sunday morning was a little on the rough side for me and her, and I had reminded her numerous times to hush.

Then she continued to boss my mom around telling her to “get in the house” because she was “in trouble” and “take your shoes off and put them right there.” I swear, the things grandparents do when they’re grandparents amaze me! If that had been me being so bossy as a child, it wouldn’t have been nearly as amusing to her. I am positive, with a capital P.

1 comment:

Justacogitating said...

Moly a Smokes! This made me smile.

Post a Comment