Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Basic cable not so suitable for children, especially mine.

I recently heard that So You Think You Can Dance? is a good show to watch. It was on last night, and as you probably know, Bailey loves to dance.

Tony got her attention and told her we were going to watch people dance and then flipped it on. Call it bad timing, call it punishment for some unknown wrong we must have done, call it whatever you will, but did it have to be two people all up on each other dancing? Seriously? I thought this was a family show? Can you tell we don't watch TV much?

Tony immediately changed the channel, but the damage was done. The little sponge that is her mind somehow registered how they were dancing and how to imitate it!

About 10 minutes later, she was squatting down and doing a hip thrust that no two-year-old should be able to do. And of course I'm no help. I immediately hid myself behind the first thing I could find and started laughing, and then crying.

Yes, it was funny to realize in an instant how quickly her mind processes things and puts them into action, but it was also scary knowing there's really no filter for appropriate vs. inappropriate dancing at this time ... and that Tony and I are the filter. Yikes!

And the dilemma: she's two. How do I explain? Or do I explain? Pretend I didn't see anything (not likely: I would be a fool to believe she didn't see my body shaking from laughter behind the pillow I grabbed)? I don't have a good answer.

All I know is we switched it to Dancing with the Stars, 100-times more appropriate for her to see. And more enjoyable. Two thumbs up ABC for being classy and entertaining. Two thumbs down FOX for the not-so-classy knock off.

1 comment:

Justacogitating said...

This is why you should have a mini-cam taped to yourself at all times - so we can witness these progressions(?) At least I've been warned now so I can at least attempt not to laugh if she does it in front of me. *trying not to hope she does*

Post a Comment