I've been slacking to the nth degree about posting since Michael has been born. Let's just say he keeps me busy ... or the two of them combined do. Take your pick.
Michael saw his first snow on November 12, 2011 and was far from impressed. I could tell he was thinking "why don't we live in Florida?" And then the next day (11/13/11) he started crawling! I think he's on a mission to get to warmer weather. Actually he's on a mission to get to anything he shouldn't have.
If I put him down he goes straight for Bailey's small toys, the tree, wrapped gifts, the light sockets, table legs (which have vicious corners), the stairs, the drop off (the area between our kitchen and downstairs living room), or anything else he shouldn't be near. Bailey was really easy in that regard. If she went for something and we said "no" in a stern voice, she would stop and cry. Michael laughs. Honestly. He laughs. I don't even know what to do with that. Here is one of those moments I should probably bow my head and say "you were right Mom and Dad," since they have repeatedly warned us that boys take more than a stern voice to get through to.
His first tooth FINALLY came in. It started with a fever and swollen gums November 6. The fever left after 4 days but his gums stayed a little swollen and remain that way, which makes me think the second tooth isn't far behind ... or maybe if we repeat the pattern it's another month away. It's hard telling. It came in December 3rd, one day before he turned 8 months old! I can't believe it's gone so fast.
He is a very happy baby. We have been extremely lucky with him. He sleeps relatively well (but I'm comparing to one of the worst sleepers I've ever seen ... sorry Bailz). He still wakes twice a night, usually around 12:30 a.m. and again around 4:30 a.m. and wants to be fed both those times. I find it ironic that those times correspond to his birth time and the first time he nursed well in the hospital. I've been cutting back the amount slowly to try to get him off the nighttime feedings, but he's not a big fan. He enjoys his food to say the least!
He's eating three meals a day (and by meals I mean baby cereal/rice and a fruit/veggie at each meal), along with 2 or 3 bottles a day (not including the 2 at night). He is definitely a chunky monkey, and I love every last square inch of him ... or should I say round?
Bailey is doing better. We had a long stretch where it seemed like all I did was discipline all day long and in the evenings too. It was extremely rough. She has started acting like herself again and is not quite as sassy, although that hasn't left entirely, much to our dismay.
She still loves dance class and we looked at her recital costumes in the order book last time we were there. There are 2 different costumes and they are both absolutely adorable. I can't wait to see her dance in them. I'm sure I'll have videos when the time comes (I think June/July).
More good news about Bailey ... drum roll please ... she slept through the night (or at least didn't leave her room and didn't call for us) 6 nights in a row. Count them. SIX! Tony deserves a round of applause for this new development. He told her if she didn't get out of her bed for so many nights in a row that he would lay down with her one night. Lo and behold it worked. Who knew!?! He kept his end of the bargain and she was pleased as could be. She is daddy's girl and Michael (at the moment) seems to be a momma's boy. Bailey flip-flopped quite a bit when she was younger, going back and forth between whom she preferred or would listen to better, so I expect the same out of Michael.
There have been numerous times the last couple months when I just stare at Bailey and think "when did she grow up so much?" She is very independent, which leaves me frustrated at times that I passed that particular gene on, but other times it's incredibly handy. She dressed herself all last week, and the choices progressively improved, thank goodness!
The first day was a blue tank top (and yes, it has been pretty cold here), a pink hello kitty skirt and bright red and green socks that go up to her knees. [Silver lining (I promise it's there): At least with the long socks her legs were almost entirely covered in this chilly weather. See, you just have to look for it.]
I'm sure the expression on my face fully exposed my instantaneous I'm-so-proud-of-you-but-what-in-the-heck-have-you-done-with-yourself thought. Regardless, she was proud as a peacock the entire day and continued dressing herself all week. I have learned that a little guidance helps - I'll tell her she needs long pants and long sleeves or something to that effect, and she seems to do a little better that way. She knows about matching colors, but clearly didn't care on day 1 and other days it's just a little off. So if you see us and she's dressed a little like a hobo, just consider it my way of letting her express herself. Plus, she's happy, which makes my days so much easier :) And why not? Punky Brewster did it, and she had her own TV show.
Overall, things are going well this direction. We're getting ready for Christmas, so of course Bailey asks me every day if today is the day. I was hoping to find a pop out calendar for her but have not yet seen one. That said, my shopping is pretty limited with the two bambinos, so I may just be looking in the wrong places :)
*Nostalgic moment: I remember those pop out calendars that had a piece of chocolate in every opening. Whatever happened to those? End nostalgic moment.*
Another momentous thing occurred this evening (12/5/11). Michael very plainly said "dada" while looking right at Tony. Despite my continued efforts of saying "mama" every day and pointing to myself for the last 8 months, he went with "dada." Totally unfair but still completely adorable :)
Okay folks, I'm signing off for the night. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods!
No comments:
Post a Comment