Monday, August 23, 2010

Quick Update

I've been getting some grief about not posting for awhile, so here's a brief update. I've been swamped! Between cakes, work, and taking care of our house and Bailey, it seems like I've had barely enough time to breathe lately. I've also made it my goal to plan a girls' night for me and some other girls with children here in Terre Haute at least once a month, which may not sound like much, but it's my feeble attempt at making myself get out every once in awhile.

As for Bailey, she is rotten! I don't know if we're getting into the troublesome threes or whatever it's called these days, but it's been rough. She is very demanding and has started sassing, so it seems like we struggle pretty much every day. I feel like I do nothing but yell some days, which completely zaps all energy I might otherwise have.

The other day while in the bathtub, she kept throwing her toys. I told her if she threw it one more time I was going to take all her toys away from her and she wouldn't be allowed to play in the bathtub. So she replied, "I won't let you take my toys."

Blood not quite boiling, but a slight simmer at this point.

I told her she would have no choice, that I would take them whether she wanted me to or not. (Hindsight tells me I should have just taken them at that point, but I didn't.) So she looks at me and says in a terribly sassy voice, "I'm not gonna talk to you if you say that again."

Blood boiling.

And my most brilliant retort, which I've noticed I've used quite a bit lately and can hear my daddy many years ago "CUT IT OUT, NOW!"

It works ... for now. Somehow she knows I've reached my limit when I get to that phrase. I don't expect it to last though.

She's obviously not all bad, and it's the silver lining that keeps me going many days. She still makes me laugh. She's very much into rhyming EVERYTHING right now, and since she hasn't started with "duck" for a few days, I don't find myself cringing as she rattles out words, made up and real, that rhyme with anything she thinks about. I thank Dr. Seuss for the made up words, as many of them seem to appear in his books we've read to her. Most of the time, these rhymes make her laugh, which is a sure way to get me laughing. It's the best sound in the world.

On a happier day in the bathtub, she asked me to read her a book. As I was reading, she said, "mommy, look!" and had attached two suction-cup fish to her chest. I tried and failed not to laugh in front of her.

She is on a movie kick. I don't know if it's Disney in particular or just because that's mostly what we have to choose from, but I've seen the run of the mill. Luckily for me, she's not one who gets stuck on one movie and wants to watch it repeatedly. She likes a little variety. I don't want to make it into too much of a habit, but it is kind of nice to have a chance to walk on the elliptical or clean while she watches them.

She also does really well with make-believe. She has little people (WOW Toys) that she got for her birthday from Aunt Lidu last year that are pretty much a daily game now. And she still loves her stuffed animals ... and they apparently love tea parties. It's always fun to watch her make up stuff as she goes. I've noticed lately that many of the people/animals get into trouble and she has to yell at them, so I get the chance to listen to myself through her voice ... not very pretty some days, but it gives me some perspective and reminds me to calm down!

Oh, and last night was her first night EVER to fall asleep in her bed by herself. Granted, Tony and I were still in the room, but she fell asleep on her own. So we went swimming today to celebrate and now she's watching The Fox and the Hound. She didn't stay asleep all night, but at least it's progress.

As for pictures, I've been terrible. Not a single one of Bailz so far this month. Below are some from when she played dress up last month:




2 comments:

Justacogitating said...

Ooh, I think I like that last pic the best! Don't tell Bailey but part of her birthday gift this year includes a pink feather boa for dress up time.

Molly said...

She will love it!

Post a Comment