Monday, May 10, 2010

Hiya neighbors!

So it's been awhile since I last posted. As most of you probably already know, we purchased a house on April 14th and home ownership is wonderful, but time consuming and exhausting. Here are some before pics (and you can thank Lisa for requesting they be on here).

We made some great first impressions with the neighbors, let me tell you. I'm a little concerned that they may think a few hill-jacks moved in next door. And they may be right.

Embarrassing item #1
We locked ourselves out the day after we bought the house. Yep, you read that correctly. Locked ourselves out of our new house. Absolutely and entirely awesome. So our first encounter with our neighbors (who are great, by the way) was "hey, you wouldn't happen to have a key to our house would you?"

Turns out they had one, but it was only able to get into the garage, which we had already accomplished with our handy-dandy garage door openers. Excellent.

After quite a few minutes with all of us wandering around the house hoping there was a window unlocked or some key that might miraculously fit to our doors (and yes, I was desperate enough to try every key in my purse, knowing full well it didn't belong to the house we purchased), Tony remembered that the inspector noticed one of the upstairs windows wouldn't lock.

So then it was "hey neighbor, can we borrow your ladder to break into our new house?" Luckily, like I mentioned above, they were very helpful and willingly handed over their ladder.

[note to any potential burglars: you can no longer get in the aforementioned window from the outside.]

Embarrassing item #2
Our sweet little girl hasn't become accustomed to the freedom of the outdoors, or maybe, somehow, she is a little too accustomed. After push-mowing our beast of a lawn last Wednesday, I went out Thursday morning and started raking the grass that flew everywhere it wasn't supposed to. I was out near the road raking away and heard Bailey up by the house say "that feels better."

I turned around to see my daughter standing in our front yard with her pants around her ankles and yelled, "Bailey, WHAT are you DOING?"

Her reply "I was sweaty, mommy." (sounds more like I was fwetty, mommy)

So I start towards her, telling her all the reasons it's not a good idea to pull your pants down outside and she starts getting worried, tries to pull them up herself, can't get them past her hips because she has failed to unbutton them on the way down, and starts waddling toward me looking like she's about to cry.

  • Option 1: laugh and make her feel even worse.
  • Option 2: do nothing but try not to laugh as she finishes waddling across the yard.
  • Option 3: go to her to help.

Somehow I was able to control my laughter enough that she didn't notice it as I ran toward her to help her dress herself. If the neighbors saw this incident, they have been kind enough thus far not to bring it up. Have I mentioned they're really great?

And now is one of those times when I realize Bailey is going to hate me for these posts one day.

1 comment:

Justacogitating said...

Awe ... I needed that laugh. And at least you've already met the neighbors and know they're good people.

Fwetty isn't a fun feeling ... much like ocky. :)

Post a Comment